Monday, January 02, 2006

Which Wiki Would Work?

Alliteration jokes aside, this is a serious request.

I'm thinking of setting up a Wiki (wiki website, like Wikipedia) as a personal knowledge base. I want to create a space wherein I can store things like saved emails, tech/business tips, articles, templates & documents for work, various notes, book ideas, and more. I've done some research, and have narrowed the choices down to a few (there are a TON of wikis out there!).

Here's my problem. I can't decide what type of wiki setup to use!

In the past I've polled my readers on their opinions, and received several very good pieces of advice. So, go with what works. I'll present you with the contenders, their advantages & disadvantages, and leave it up to you to decide. Drop a comment by with your choice, or email me if you like. I appreciate it.

CHOICE #1: INSTIKI
Instiki (www.instiki.org) is a Wiki setup that installs on your PC and runs itself like a website, but locally. It's a pretty geeky choice, but you can't beat the control you have over it.

Advantages: It's local, so it's fast and secure. The size limit is as big as your hard drive. It can export to an HTML zip, which makes backup easy.

Disadvantages: While you can configure it to run as a website, opening a port to host it would be too much of a risk for me, since it'd be on my master system. I don't want to run the risk of a hacker finding that port and leeching off my data. This means I wouldn't be able to access/update it elsewhere.

CHOICE #2: STIKIPAD/SCHTUFF/PBWIKI
StikiPad
Schtuff
PBWiki

Never let it be said that Wiki makers were dull when it came to naming. All three of these are basically the same idea - web-hosted Wikis. Big sites that offer free spaces for you to post Wiki pages, as private or public as you want. They vary in features, which makes me think StikiPad, though still in beta, has the best all-around package right now.

Advantages: With a web-based Wiki, I can get to my data & update it from anywhere, any PC. It's not on my PC, so if that crashes, I won't lose my data.

Disadvantages: Storage limits vary greatly. Schtuff gives you 600MB max, PBWiki about 10, and StikiPad doesn't have a set limit right now. And while I believe for the most part that they're secure and private, having all my personal data "out there" always makes me nervous. What if a hacker finds it? What if I forget to password something and it gets stolen?

So I leave it to you, dear readers. What do you think? Which would you choose for your data?

Tags:

1 Comments:

At 9:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I chose docuwiki.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home